of Electronics, Warsaw Technical University, Warsaw, Poland, 1975
Ph.D., Institute of Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland, 1983
Sc.D., Institute of Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland, 1992
I conduct my research at the UR Ultrafast QuantumPhenomena Laboratory. My research interests are concentrated in the areasof solid-state and quantum electronics. This is a truly interdisciplinary effort, which overlaps such diverse disciplines as optics, micro- and nanoelectronics, cryogenics, materials science, condensed matter physics, and electrodynamics. My work is exploratory in nature, but it contains a strong applied flavor. The best example is my quest for the development of new, ultrafast devices based on integrated optical and solid-state technologies. Specific research topics include:
· physics of ultrafast phenomena in condensed matter;
· single-photon detection for ultraweak luminescence sensing, deep-space optical communication, and quantum computing and quantum cryptography;
· ultrafast optoelectronic photodetectors, transducers, and modulators;
· ultrafast superconducting digital electronics;
· subpicosecond electro-optic and magneto-optic characterization of high-performance superconducting and semiconducting devices, circuits and transmission structures;
· femtosecond spectroscopy of high-temperature (high-Tc) superconducting films and the development of ultrafast broadband high-Tc devices for electronic and optoelectronic applications.
· "Deep Space Research Discovers Boon for Chip Makers," UR Press Release, August 2001.
· "Incubation for frozen switch," Electronic Times, May 2001.
· "Atlantic Signs Option Agreement with The University Of Rochester for Superconducting Magneto-Optical Modulator," Atlantic Ventures Technology Inc. Press Release, May 2001.
co-author of >200 publications, 3 technical patents, and >100 conference
Participant in >70 scientific conferences (40 invited lectures).
Principal Investigator or Co-PI of >30 research grants (12 active).
Consultant-Lecturer for United Nations Industrial Development Organization, 1991.
Reviewer for the National Science Foundation, Civilian Research and Development Foundation, U.S. Dept. of Energy, Air Force Office for Scientific Research, International Science Foundation, Phys. Rev. Lett., Phys. Rev. B, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, IEE E Trans. Magnetics, and IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon., Supercon. Sci. Tech.
Chair of the IEEE Electron Device Society Rochester Chapter, 1998.
Undergraduate/graduate-level courses taught at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Rochester:
· Physics of Solid-State Devices (EE 420)
· Solid State Electronics (EE 223)
· Electronic Devices and Circuits (ECE 221)
· Semiconducting Devices (ECE 223/ECE 423/MSC 426)
· Superconductivity and Josephson Effect (ECE 425)
· Electromagnetic Waves (ECE230)
· Special Topics in ECE (ECE 396)
· Senior Design Project in ECE (ECE 349)
Supervision of Ph. D. and M. S. graduate students, 1984 - present:
· Ph. D.: W. Xiong (1995), K. Green (1999) R. Adam (2001), C Williams (2001)
· M. S.: A Schrock (1992), R. Adam (1996), G. Sabouret (2001).
"Mentor" for the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program, and advisor for student projects for the National Conference on Undergraduate Research.
Books and Book/Journal Chapters
· "Optical Sensors," (Chapter) R. Sobolewski and D. P. Butler, to appear in: Handbook of Superconducting Materials, Institute of Physics Publishing Ltd., Bristol, UK (2002).
· "Hot-Electron Effect in Superconductors and its Applications for Radiation Sensors" Topical review article, A. Semenov, G. N. Gol'tsman, and R. Sobolewski, Supercon. Sc. & Tech. 15, pp. R1-R16 (2002).
· "Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide as an Infrared Sensing Material," (Chapter) D. P. Butler, Z. Celik- Butler, and R. Sobolewski in: Handbook of Advanced Electronic and Photonic Materials and Devices, ed. by H. S. Nalwa, Vol. 3: High Tc Superconductors and Organic Conductors, Chap. 4, pp. 169-195, Academic Press, NY, (2001).
Journals and Published Conference Proceedings
· "Femtosecond Response of a Freestanding LT-GaAs Photoconductive Switch", X. Zheng, Y. Xu, R. Sobolewski, R. Adam, M. Mikulics, M. Siegel, and P. Kordos, to appear in Appl. Opt. (2002).
· "Carrier Dynamics in Metallic Superconducting and Nonsuperconducting Cuprates", M. L. Schneider, J. Demsar, Yu. D. Glinka, A. Klimov, A. Krapf, S. Rast, Y. H. Ren, W. Si, Y. Xu, X. H. Zeng, I. Bozovic, G. Lüpke, R. Manzke, R. Sobolewski, A. J. Taylor, N. T. Tolk, X. X. Xi, R. Joynt, and M. Onellion, to appear in Phys. Rev. Lett. (2002).
· "Quantum Coherence Model of Cooper Pair Recombination in Superconductors", R. Sobolewski, Y. Xu, C. Williams, and J. Mostowski, to appear in Phys. Rev. Lett. (2002).
· "Detection Efficiency of Large-Active-Area NbN Single-Photon Superconducting Detectors in the Ultraviolet to Near-Infrared Range ", A. Verevkin, J. Zhang, R. Sobolewski, A. Lipatov, O. Okunev, G. Chulkova, A. Korneev, K. Smirnov, and G. N. Gol'tsman, and A. Semenov, to appear in Appl. Phys. Lett. (2002).
· "Resistive Switching Dynamics in Current-Biased Y-Ba-Cu-O Microbridges Excited by Nanosecond Electrical Pulses", G. Sabouret, C. Williams, and R. Sobolewski, to appear in Phys. Rev. B (2002).
· "Direct Measurements of Energy Relaxation Times in Two-Dimensional Structures Under Quasi-Equilibrium Conditions",(Invited), A. Verevkin, E. M. Gershenzon, G. N. Gol'tsman, N. G. Ptitsina, G. Chulkova, K. Smirnov, and R. Sobolewski, in Ultrafast Phenomena in Semiconductors 2001, edited by S. Asmontas, A. Dargys, and H. G. Roskos, Materials Science Forum. Vols. 384-385, pp. 107-116 (2002).
· "Magneto-Optical Modulator for the Superconducting Digital Output Interface," R. Rey-De-Castro, A. Verevkin, Y. Xu, A. Mycielski, and R. Sobolewski, in OPTO-Canada: SPIE Regional Meeting on Optoelectronic, Photonics, and Imaging, SPIE vol. TD01, pp. 41-43 (2002).
· "Ultrafast Superconducting Single-Photon Optical Detectors and Their Applications," (Invited), A. Verevkin, G. N. Gol'tsman, and R. Sobolewski, in OPTO-Canada: SPIE Regional Meeting on Optoelectronic, Photonics, and Imaging, SPIE vol. TD01, pp. 39-40 (2002).
· "Fabrication and Subpicosecond Photoresponse of a Novel LT-GaAs Photoconductive Switch," X. Zheng, Y. Xu, R. Adam, M. Mikulics, M. Siegel, P. Kordos, and R. Sobolewski, in OPTO-Canada: SPIE Regional Meeting on Optoelectronic, Photonics, and Imaging, SPIE vol. TD01, pp. 36-38 (2002).
· "Time-resolved Characterization of NbN Superconducting Single-Photon Optical Detectors," J. Zhang, A. Verevkin, W. Slysz, G. Chulkova, A. Korneev, A. Lipatov, O. Okunev, G. N. Gol'tsman, and R. Sobolewski, in OPTO-Canada: SPIE Regional Meeting on Optoelectronic, Photonics, and Imaging, SPIE vol. TD01, pp. 33-35 (2002).
· "Femtosecond Optical Response of MgB2 superconducting thin films," Y. Xu, A. Plecenik, and R. Sobolewski, in OPTO-Canada: SPIE Regional Meeting on Optoelectronic, Photonics, and Imaging, SPIE vol. TD01, pp. 30-32 (2002).
· "Spectral Sensitivity of the NbN Single-Photon Superconducting Detector" (Invited), R. Sobolewski, Y. Xu, X. Zheng, C. Williams, J. Zheng, A. Verevkin, G. Chulkova, A. Korneev, A. Lipatov, O. Okunev, K. Smirnov, and G. N. Gol'tsman, IEICE Trans. Electron. E85-C, No. 3, pp. 797-802 (2002).
· "Experiments and Simulations of Picosecond Electrical Pulse Modulation of Y-Ba-Cu-O Thin Films", C. Williams, G. Sabouret, and R. Sobolewski, IEICE Trans. Electron. E85-C, No. 3, pp. 733-737 (2002).
· "New photon detector for device analysis: Superconducting single-photon detector based on a hot electron effect", S. Somani, S. Kasapi. K. Wilsher, W. Lo, R. Sobolewski and G. N. Gol'tsman, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 19, No. 6, pp. 2766-2769 (2001).
· "Low-temperature-grown MBE GaAs for terahertz photomixers," M. Mikulics, M. Marso, R. Adam, A. Fox, D. Buca, A. Förster P. Kordos, Y. Xu, and R. Sobolewski, in 2001 Int. Symposium on Electron Devices for Microwave and Optoelectronic Applications, EDMO2001, Vienna, Austria, IEEE Cat. No. 01TH8567, pp.155-159.
· "Ultrafast Optoelectronic Interface for Digital Superconducting Electronics"(invited), R. Sobolewski, Supercon. Sc. & Tech. 14, pp. 994-1000 (2001).
· "Picosecond superconducting single-photon optical detector", G. N. Gol'tsman, O. Okunev, G. Chulkova, A. Lipatov, A. Semenov, K. Smirnov, B. Voronov, A. Dzardanov, C. Williams, and R. Sobolewski, Appl. Phys. Lett. 79, pp. 705-707 (2001).
· "Photo-Induced Changes of the In-Plane and Out-of-Plane Electronic Properties in Y-Ba-Cu-O", C. Stockinger, G. Heine, W. Markowitsch, W. Lang, R. Adam, R. Sobolewski, R. Rossler, J. D. Pedarnig, and D. Bauerle, J. Supercon. 14, pp. 311-315 (2001).
· "Magneto-Optical Modulator for Superconducting Digital Output Interface," R. Sobolewski and J.-R. Park, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon. 11, pp. 727-730 (2001).
· "Ultrafast YBCO Photodetector Based on the Kinetic-Inductive Process," C. Williams, Y. Xu, R. Adam, M. Darula, O. Harnack, J. Scherbel, M. Siegel, F. A. Hegmann, and R. Sobolewski, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon. 11, pp. 578-581 (2001).
· "Fabrication and Properties of an Ultrafast NbN Hot-Electron Single Photon Detector," G. N. Gol'tsman, O. Okunev, G. Chulkova, A. Lipatov, A. Semenov, K. Smirnov, B. Voronov, A. Dzardanov, C. Williams, and R. Sobolewski, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon. 11, pp. 574-577 (2001).
· "Ultrafast superconducting hot-electron single-photon detector," Y. Xu, X. Zheng, C. Williams, A. Verevkin, R. Sobolewski, G. Chulkova, A. Lipatov, O. Okunev, K. Smirnov, G.N. Gol'tsman, in Technical Digest of the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO2001, IEEE Cat. No.01CH37170, pp.345-346.
· "Cooled and Uncooled Infrared Detectors Based on Yttrium Barium Cooper Oxide" (invited), R. Sobolewski, D. P. Butler, and Z. Celik-Butler, in: Smart Optical Inorganic Structures and Devices, ed. by S. P. Asmontas and J. Gradauskas, Proc. SPIE 4318, pp. 204-214 (2001).
Pre 2001 Publications
· "Double Sign Reversal of the Vortex Hall Effect in YBa2Cu3O7-x Thin Films in the Strong Pinning Limit of Low Magnetic Fields," (with W. Gob, W. Liebich, W. Lang, I. Puica, R. Rossler, J. D. Pedarnig, and D. Buerle), Phys. Rev. B 62, 9870 (2000).
· "Photo-Induced Increase of the Superconducting Coherence Lengths in Oxygen-Deficient Y-Ba-Cu-O Thin Films", (with C. Stockinger, G. Heine, W. Markowitsch, W. Lang, R. Adam, R. Rossler, J. D. Pedarnig, and D. Bauerle), Euro. Phys. J. B 18, 227 (2000).
· "Extending Scattering Parameter Approach to Characterization of Linear Time-Varying Microwave Devices," (with K. Green), IEEE Tran. MTT. 48, 1725 (2000).
· "Quasiparticle Thermalization and Recombination in High-Temperature Superconductors Excited by Femtosecond Optical Pulses," (invited) in: Lecture Notes in Physics: New Developments in High Temperature Superconductivity, vol. 545, pp. 100-122 Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg (2000).
· "Picosecond Hot-Electron Energy Relaxation in NbN Superconducting Photodetectors," (with K. S. Il'in, M. Lindgren, M. Currie, A. D. Semenov, G. N. Gol’tsman, S. I. Cherednichenko, and E. M. Gershenzon), Appl. Phys. Lett. 76, 2752 (2000).
· "Direct observation of subpicosecond single-flux-quantum generation in pulse-driven Y-Ba-Cu-O Josephson junctions," (with R. Adam, M. Currie, C. Williams, O. Harnack, and M. Darula), Appl. Phys. Lett. 76, 469 (2000).
· "Intrinsic Photoresponse Times of Y-Ba-Cu-O Superconducting Photodetectors," (with M. Lindgren, M. Currie, C. Williams, T. Y. Hsiang, P. M. Fauchet, S. H. Moffat, R. A. Hughes, J. S. Preston and F. A. Hegmann), Appl. Phys. Lett., 74, 853 (1999).
· "Pyroelectric Effect in Ya-Ba-Cu-O Thin Films under Laser Illumination," (with D. P. Butler, Z. Celik-Butler, and R. Adam), J. Appl. Phys. 85, 1075 (1999).
· "Ultrafast Dynamics of Nonequilibrium Quasiparticles in High-Temperature Superconductors," (invited) in Superconducting and Related Oxides: Physics and Nanoengineering III, Proc. SPIE. 3481, 480-491 (1998).
· "Ultimate Quantum Efficiency of a Superconducting Hot-Electron Photodetector," (with K. D. Il’in, I. I. Milostnaya, A. A. Verevkin, G. N. Gol’tsman and E. M. Gershenzon) Appl. Phys. Lett. 73, 3938 (1998).