This course is a survey of audio digital signal processing fundamentals and applications. Topics include sampling and quantization, analog to digital converters, time and frequency domains, spectral analysis, vocoding, digital filters, audio effects, music audio analysis and synthesis, and other advanced topics in audio signal processing. Implementation of algorithms using Matlab and dedicated DSP platforms is emphasized.
Lectures: 9:00-10:15AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Classroom: CSB 523
Lab: Hopeman 202 (several labs will be scheduled during Weeks 10-13.)
Prerequisites: ECE 241 or other equivalent signals and systems courses, ECE 114, and basic Matlab programming.
Textbook: Parts of the following textbooks will be used. Electronic versions of all books are freely available online or through the UR library website.
- DASP - Udo Zölzer. (2008). Digital Audio Signal Processing. 2nd Edition. Wiley. Accompanying website
- DAFX - Udo Zölzer (Eds.). (2011). DAFX: Digital Audio Effects. 2nd Edition. Wiley. Accompanying website (link is not working, check back later)
- SASP - Julius Smith. (2010). Spectral Audio Signal Processing. Free Online Book.
Reference books: The following books are helpful for the Matlab and DSP board assignments.
- Theodoros Giannakopoulos, and Aggelos Pikrakis. (2014). Introduction to Audio Analysis: A MATLAB Approach. Academic Press.
- Donald Reay. (2012). Digital Signal Processing and Applications with the OMAP-L138 eXperimenter. John Wiley & Sons.
Instructor: Zhiyao Duan
Office: Hopeman 308
Email: zhiyao.duan (at) rochester.edu
Office hour: 10-11AM on Mondays and 10:30-11:30AM on Tuesdays
TAs and Office Hours:
Yichi Zhang <yichi.zhang (at) rochester.edu>, 1-3PM on Thursdays in CSB 504
Zhuohuang Zhang <zhuohuang.zhang (at) rochester.edu>, 1:30-3:30PM on Mondays in CSB 504
Youmeiyi Pan <youmeiyi.pan (at) rochester.edu>, 9:50-11:50AM on Fridays in CSB 504