Project GENIUS (Green sEnsor Networks for aIr qUality Support)
University of Rochester: Li Chen, Jeremy Warner, Lucian Copeland, He Ba, Pak Lam (Jack) Yung, Da Wan, Dawei Zhou and Wendi Heinzelman
Northeastern University: Yousof M. Naderi Prusayon Nintanavongsa,
Ufuk Muncuk, Kaushik Chowdhury and Stefano Basagni
IIT-Delhi: Swades De
IIT-Hyderabad: Soumya Jana
|Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE)|
This project called GENIUS (Green sEnsor Networks for aIr qUality Support) proposes a new architecture comprised of sensor hardware, protocols, analytical models, and optimized implementation geared towards new self-sustaining sensor nodes. These sensors operate by harvesting energy from the environment, and optimize energy usage through an on-demand wake-up radio technology, potentially leading to a perennial pollution-monitoring network. GENIUS is envisaged to play a key role in emergency warnings, undertake periodic data logging, and contribute to the societal well being in densely populated and congested regions in both the US and India.
- S. Basagni, M. Y. Naderi, C. Petrioli, and D. Spenza, "Wireless sensor networks with energy harvesting," In Mobile Ad Hoc Networking: Cutting Edge Directions, S. Basagni, M. Conti, S. Giordano, and I. Stojmenovic, Eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 2013, ch. 20. In print.
- L. Chen, I. Demirkol and W. Heinzelman, "Token-MAC: Supporting Fair Access in Passive RFID Systems," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Volume 13, Issue 6, June 2014.
- H. Ba, I. Demirkol, and W. Heinzelman, "Passive Wake-up Radios: From Devices To Applications," Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 11, Issue 8, November, 2013, pages 2605-2621.
- P. Nintanavongsa, R. Doost-Mohammady, M. D. Felice, and K. R. Chowdhury, “Device Characterization and Cross-layer Protocol Design for RF Energy Harvesting Sensors,” Elsevier Pervasive and Mobile Computing Journal, 2012.
- P. Nintanavongsa, U. Muncuk, D. R. Lewis, and K. R. Chowdhury, “Design Optimization and Implementation for RF Energy Harvesting Circuits,” IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, vol. 2, no.1, March 2012.
- M. Naderi, K. Chowdhury, S. Basagni, W. Heinzelman, S. De and S. Jana, "Experimental Study of Concurrent Data and Wireless Energy Transfer for Sensor Networks," Proceedings of IEEE GlobeCom 2014, Dec. 2014.
- D. Mishra, K. Kaushik, S. De, S. Basagni, K. Chowdhury, S. Jana, and W. Heinzelman, "Implementation of Multi-Path Energy Routing," Proceedings of the IEEE PIMRC 2014, September 2014.
- M. Yousof Naderi, K. R. Chowdhury, S. Basagni, W. Heinzelman, S. De, and S. Jana, "Experimental Study of Concurrent Data and Wireless Energy Transfer for Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the SECON 2014 Workshop on Energy Harvesting, June-July 2014.
- K. Kaushik, D. Mishra, S. De, S. Basagni, W. Heinzelman, K. Chowdhury, and S. Jana, “Experimental Demonstration of Multi-Hop RF Energy Transfer,” Proceedings of the IEEE PIMRC 2013 , September 2013.
- L. Chen, S. Cool, H. Ba, W. Heinzelman, I. Demirkol, U. Muncuk, K. Chowdhury and S. Basagni, “Range Extension of Passive Wake-up Radio Systems through Energy Harvesting,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communication (ICC '13), June 2013. [Best Paper Award]
- J. Oller, I. Demirkol, J. Paradells, J. Casademont and W. Heinzelman, "Time-Knocking: A Novel Addressing Mechanism for Wake-up Receivers," Proc. 8th IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob 2012), Barcelona, Spain, October 9-10, 2012.
- M. Y. Naderi, S. Basagni, and K. R. Chowdhury, “Modeling the Residual Energy and Lifetime of Energy Harvesting Sensor Nodes,” IEEE GLOBECOM, Anaheim, California, USA, December 3-7, 2012.
- A. H. Coarasa, P. Nintanavongsa, S. Sanyal and K. R. Chowdhury, "Impact of Mobile Transmitter Sources on Radio Frequency Wireless Energy Harvesting," IEEE ICNC, San Diego, USA, January 2013.
- L. Chen, H. Ba, W. Heinzelman and A. Cote, "RFID Range Extension with Low-power Wireless Edge Devices," IEEE ICNC, San Diego, USA, January 2013.